Friday, June 27, 2008

Ice a Dog's Paw???

Thursday as I was walking the dogs all of a sudden Charkee fell to the ground and started licking her paw. Thinking that she had stepped on one of a million sandspurs that inhabit the beach, I picked her up to remove it. To my amazement, I didn't find a spur but a black ant that was burrowed between the pads of her little paw. After removing the dastardly little creature I placed Charkee back on the ground expecting her to follow me back to the beachhouse. Instead, she plopped right back down and started licking her paw. I tried to get her to follow me again so she held up her paw and hobbled after me on three legs.  After realizing that she was in pain, I picked her up and carried her back to the house and told Doug that an ant had bitten her on her paw. Sticking to his answer for any type of injury, he advised me to put ice on the bite. 
I looked at him and asked him if he was serious..."Ice on a dog's paw???" Did he really think she was going to let me put something cold on her foot? Well... as the saying goes "Pictures don't lie." Here are pictures of Charkee in bed with an ice pack on her foot. 

This baby feel asleep with the ice pack on her paw and must have stayed in this position for 30 minutes.















Now Doug definitely stands by his "Ice Cures Everything" theory!

2 comments:

Blumentopf said...

Hi Eileen,

That looks like the most content dog I have ever seen! Give Doug my congratulations for finding the universal cure-all.

blumentopf/TT/mh

bridgetparaguay said...

I love this photo... very inspiring. Unfortunately my dog did not take the ice pack as well. she just ran away from it!